Saturday, May 17, 2014

Cruise Day Two: Rhodes

Rhodes.. aka Rodos (said in my best Greek accent, make sure to roll the "r").

This morning was the day to go out on our own! No tour guide.. the ultimate test. Unfortunately, Lauren wasn't feeling well so she stayed back to rest on the boat while the three of us rented the car and headed to the town of Lindos. Lindos was about a 45 minute drive from the port. A gorgeous drive I might add. The terrain on the island of Rhodes was surprisingly mountainous and reminded me a lot of west Texas, actually (well more like New Mexico when it gets closer to the Rockies...). We made it to Lindos, parked the tiny rental car, and headed through the cute town on foot. Lots of shops, restaurants, and of course a path to the top of a hill with ruins on it. The theme of the trip: Many, many steps leading to lots of crumbling rock. I kid of course, because every hill has led to incredible history and beautiful scenery. This hill was no exception. The view from the top of this hill will forever go down as one of the most truly breathtaking I have ever seen. This picture definitely won't do it justice, but here you go..


As we walked back down the hill we stopped for lunch. I now can say I have eaten the best tzatziki of my life. Yesterday's was good, but today's was even better if that's possible. Plus the pita bread was amazing. I also had the garlic lamb and it blew my mind. It's official, I'm obsessed with Greece. We headed back to the city of Rhodes to grab Lauren for the end of the day. We stopped at a little swimming hole kind of place to look around and it was also gorgeous as you can imagine. My mom and I have fallen in love with some of the flooring they use all around Greece. It's a stone flooring that all the small stones are set in cement with the skinny side up... in black and white designs. It's hard to explain, so I'll be sure to get a picture on here soon. Well sorry for the tangent, but this swimming hole had this flooring all over the place, so we were in love. We made it back to Rhodes, picked up Lauren and drove around the "New City" for a bit. It was great! Then we turned the car back in (with no scratch, good work Dad!) and walked into the "Old City". It was such a cool experience. So many shops, restaurants, etc. Mosques, a palace, more of that flooring. Overall, just a beautiful place.

We got back to the boat. Won second place in the afternoon trivia. Went to the fancy French restaurant on board (YUM). Then decided to take our own cruise pictures because there is no photographer on this ship surprisingly! So... you're welcome. Sorry if it's a little blurry. I'm still teaching Mom how to take pictures on an iPhone...



At the end of the day, the Llewellyn's shopped quite a bit, ate like Kings, and took lots of selfies. Ok, the selfies were just me. 

Tomorrow is Ephesus! Very excited. Talk to y'all tomorrow.

Love,
Llewy


1 comment: