Sunday, January 11, 2015

Honduras || January 4th, 2015

Our first full day in beautiful Honduras! We started out with breakfast at the hotel and then headed out for a walking tour of Juticalpa. Snapped a street selfie of course. 

Stopped in this square near the Catholic church.

And then went inside for a little before Mass begun. The colors were incredible. I also loved that they had Christmas lights up on the alter.

The city was so different and so interesting. The buildings were colorful, the people so friendly, and sadly, pretty dirty.

We then hopped back in the van and headed to "the ranch". By this I mean, Rancho El Paraiso. The views again were spectacular. Honduras is so mountainous and lush with vegetation! Most of the way the road was paved; when we started getting closer to the  ranch, it was a dirt road, with lots of pot holes and mud. You can imagine how fun sitting in the back of a 15 passenger van for that! No really, it was pretty fun. 

Finally, we made it to the ranch, settled in, ate a super tasty lunch (Rice and chicken... I think we're going to eat a lot of rice and chicken. And I'm ok with that), and then Ali, our group leader, gave us a tour. 

So the ranch is run by Honduras Outreach Inc. There are multiple dormitories, a kitchen, dairy barn, a clinic, kindergarden, and even a souvenir shop for locals to sell their goods to us at the end of the week! It's really an incredible organization. So many different church groups come through here doing various things. We happen to be a veterinary group, but they've told us about groups coming to work with kids, build furniture, human medicine, etc. Also, usually, there are multiple groups here at the same time, but it's just us this week! Here are some pictures from the tour:

The whole group by the entrance (minus our friends who got here this evening).

Nicole (my roommate) and a large tree.

Signs from all the different groups that have been here.

Nicole and I by da river.

Seriously. God knew what he was doing with Honduras.

After the tour we decided to play some volleyball which was so fun. Finally figured out a way to put up the net. Meaghan and I figured we could squeeze some modeling in while working that.

We ate dinner, had a devotion, greeted the rest of our team (yay! they finally made it!) and then headed to bed. I'm currently typing this next to the open window (with a thick screen- don't worry mom) listening to the cattle moo. 

God is so, so good. I can't be thankful enough for this opportunity to use my passion to share His beautiful and unconditional love. Thank you for reading this and supporting me. I know you're not reading this till after I'm back, but I still ask that you would pray for this place, these people, and that the seeds we planted this past week would grow in His love.

I took a nap here today. AWEsome.



No comments:

Post a Comment