Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Nsikazi: Day One

I’m so sorry about the delay on getting this out. I had to get a code for my internet wifi. So here’s my blog entry from yesterday.

 Still hasn’t really hit me that I’m here. The flight from New York to Johannesburg wasn’t exactly enjoyable, but I watched four movies! Then only got two hours of sleep. So ready to zonk out at this point. Once we got to Johannesburg, we (my friend Kaitlyn and I) met up with the ACE representatives and they then transferred us to our project, which is about four hours east of Johannesburg. Two other girls were driven with us, but they went to Khulula (where I’m going in two weeks). One of the girls, Erika, actually goes to Texas A&M. Small world! Here are some photos from the drive. It was awesome, and sadly, these pictures are not giving it justice.



We stopped at a “Superspar” (they call their markets, “Spars”) and did some grocery shopping. I was SO lost and confused in there. There were the strangest things on the shelves, and Kaitlyn and I really didn’t know what we needed anyways. So we ended up buying really simple food, and we were on our way to Nsikazi.

Once we arrived at Nsikazi, five other volunteers greeted us right away. Two girls from Canada, two from Mississippi (who are sadly leaving tomorrow), and a girl from Australia! Kaitlyn and I dropped out bags in our room, which is quite lovely, and went to dart gun practice. It was so much fun! 

Look at me shooting a dart gun! (Ignore the Mulan bun)


We also met the head veterinarian, Martina; she is so funny and down to earth. I’m really excited about this place and the other volunteers seem like great girls. Later that night, we all sat around the camp fire and just talked. The atmosphere is very relaxed here, so my style. Also, there is an orphaned baby rhino we are taking care of. We fed it tonight, and it is seriously one of the cutest things I’ve ever seen! So excited to get to know him better. :) Tomorrow they said we’re doing something with giraffes. CAN’T WAIT! I’ll leave you with some pictures from the “lodge” I’m staying at.

This was around 5:45 from the top of the hill... It gets dark so early here!


Love you all,
Llewy

1 comment: