Thursday, May 24, 2012

Nsikazi: Day Three

Today was a much more low-key day. In the morning, I got up to feed Valentino all by myself! I was slightly scared to walk up to the barn alone in the dark, but I made it with only one scare from the dog. We didn’t have anything planned for this morning, so I got back into bed and actually got on Facebook for a little. It was perfect because it was 6:30 AM here, but 11:30 PM back in Central Time Zone… aka prime Facebooking time. I was able to catch up with a couple friends, which was such a treat! Then I fell back asleep until around 9:30 and went out around the fire pit with the other girls and read my book and relaxed. I started to get a bit antsy so I got up to take pictures of the farm. I just started walking, and ended up going on a hike. It was absolutely breathtaking. Walking up hill and looking out on the mountains was incredible. Here are some pictures.

This is looking back at the lodge. The hills look foggy all the time, but it's all dust. It's the dry season right now.

At one point, I ran into a herd of blesbok, a type of antelope. I’m so mad at myself for not bringing my zoom lens, but I snapped a few from afar. They were very aware of me and stared at me the whole time I walked up the hill past them. Teensy bit scary! 

I got back to my room just in time to go feed Valentino with the other girls. This time, I brought my camera. Isn’t he the cutest!? We were going to take him for a walk, but he got a bit testy and started to charge at us. He only wants to play, but sadly, we are not his two ton mother, so it is pretty painful to play with him back. 



For the rest of the day we have been getting ready for our call out tomorrow. We are doing vasectomies on two LIONS tomorrow! So we had to pack all the surgery boxes and clean syringes, etc. It was pretty tedious, but I learned a lot from Martina. 


The girls and I ended the day by cooking stir-fry together and then playing cards. We had way too much fun. Overall it was a very very relaxed day, but I learned a lot and became even better friends with these other awesome girls.

Finally, I had some people ask me about my accomadations.. So I took a few pictures for y'all! (The other girls make fun of me for using "y'all"... oh well!)

This is my room looking in from the door. The door to the right is Kaitlyn's room, and the other doorway is into the bathroom.

This is from the bathroom looking out into my room and the porch.

Here's our kitchen/dining room/porch!

This is the other girls "house" and the fire pit we hang around in our free time. Kaitlyn and Celine were down there reading at the time.

This is the view from the porch at the rest of the "lodge".


Hope everyone is doing well! I know I sure am. I GET TO TOUCH A LION TOMORROW.

Love you all,
Llewy

2 comments:

  1. Posts for seven days in a row. You are doing great Sarah. We all love them. Can't wait until tomorrow's post.

    Daily Safety tip - There are a lot of new microbes in your new environment. Wash hands and take care of nicks and cuts properly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like you are having fun. Looking forward to reading your adventures. Stay safe.

    ReplyDelete